Season One is the first season of Gossip Girl, the American teen drama based upon the book series written by Cecily von Ziegesar. This season aired from September 19th, 2007 until May 19th, 2008 with eighteen episodes. The first thirteen episodes of Gossip Girl aired in the U.S. on Wednesdays at 9:00 p.m. on The CW. Following the 100-day writers strike, the remainder of the season aired on Mondays at 8:00 p.m. The season was released on DVD as a five disc boxed set under the title of Gossip Girl: The Complete First Season on August 19, 2008 by Warner Home Video.
- Serena van der Woodsen returns to New York's Upper East side and begins a relationship with Dan Humphrey.
- There is a love triangle between Blair Waldorf, Nate Archibald and Serena.
- There is a love triangle between Nate, Blair, and Chuck Bass.
- Serena's little brother, Eric van der Woodsen is released from rehab after being treated for depression after his suicide attempt. It's revealed he's also gay.
- Jenny Humphrey, Dan's little sister, struggles to be accepted by Blair and her friends.
- Dan's best friend Vanessa Abrams suddenly turns up and causes some struggles in the relationship between Dan and Serena.
- Dan and Serena have troubles with someone from Serena's past
Changes from the book series
- Eric van der Woodsen's sexuality and suicide attempts. He is younger than Serena, compared to the books where he is older.
- In the books, Jenny has curly brown hair and a large bust, which make her self conscious.
- Blair Waldorf's younger brother, Tyler is mysteriously absent in the TV show.
- Vanessa does not have a shaved head in the TV show.
- Blair and Chuck's romance is not part of the book series storyline.
- Vanessa goes to Constance in the books and lives with Ruby, an absent character in the TV show.
- In the books, Vanessa has relationships other than being with Dan.
- The romantic relationship between Lily and Rufus.
- Lily and Bart getting married.
- Dan and Jenny's mother lives in Prague in the books and is called Jeanette.
- Roman, or any similar character, is not present in the books
- Dan and Serena have a briefer relationship in the books.
- Blake Lively as Serena van der Woodson (Appears in 18/18 episodes)
- Leighton Meester as Blair Waldorf (Appears in 18/18 episodes)
- Penn Badgley as Dan Humphrey (Appears in 18/18 episodes)
- Chace Crawford as Nate Archibald (Appears in 15/18 episodes)
- Ed Westwick as Chuck Bass (Appears in 14/18 episodes)
- Taylor Momsen as Jenny Humphrey (Appears in 15/18 episodes)
- Matthew Settle as Rufus Humphrey (Appears in 18/18 episodes)
- Kelly Rutherford as Lily van der Woodson (Appears in 15/18 episodes)
- Jessica Szohr as Vanessa Abrams (Appears in 9/18 episodes)
- Kristen Bell as Gossip Girl (Voice only and uncredited, 18/18 episodes)
- Connor Paolo as Eric van der Woodsen
- Margaret Colin as Eleanor Waldorf (After Pilot)
- Nan Zhang as Kati Farkas
- Zuzanna Szadkowski as Dorota Kishlovsky
- Michelle Trachtenberg as Georgina Sparks
- Amanda Setton as Penelope Shafai
- Sebastian Stan as Carter Baizen
- Nicole Fiscella as Isabel Coates
- Dreama Walker as Hazel Williams
- Yin Chang as Nelly Yuki
- Emma Demar as Elise Wells
- Robert John Burke as Bart Bass
- Sam Robards as Howard "The Captain" Archibald
- France Swift as Anne Archibald
- John Shea as Harold Waldorf
- William Abadie as Roman Garrel
- Caroline Lagerfelt as CeCe Rhodes
- Susie Misner as Alison Humphrey
- Jill Flint as Bex Simon
- Michelle Hurd as Laurel
- Florencia Lozano as Eleanor Waldorf (Pilot only)
|01||Pilot||3.50||September 19, 2007|
|The privileged prep school teens on Manhattan's Upper East Side first learn that Serena van der Woodsen is back in town the way they learn all the important news in their lives: from the blog of the anonymous Gossip Girl. No one knows Gossip Girl's identity, but everyone in this exclusive circle relies on her website and text blasts for the latest scoop. Even Serena's best friend, Blair Waldorf, is surprised to find that Serena has suddenly ended her self-imposed exile to boarding school and returned to Manhattan. Whatever the reasons for her return, the change in Serena is obvious, especially to Blair, whose friendship with Serena has always been competitive and difficult.|
|02||The Wild Brunch||2.48||September 26, 2007|
In the wake of the scandalous Kiss on the Lips party, Serena receives an icy cold reception from her best friend Blair, who reveals that she knows Serena slept with her boyfriend, Nate, before mysteriously running off to boarding school. Serena decides to take Dan to arch-enemy Chuck's fundraiser brunch at The Palace, and Jenny seeks advice from Blair, who realizes she may have something to gain by allowing Jenny into her inner circle.
Title based off of the movie The Wild Bunch.
|03||Poison Ivy||2.75||October 3, 2007|
|As the Constance Billard/St. Jude's students prepare for a much-anticipated visit from Ivy League representatives, Blair uncovers a scandalous secret about Serena that may not remain a secret much longer. Dan has his heart set on the coveted usher position for the Dartmouth University rep, only to be beat out by Nate, who has no interest in the school despite pressure from his controlling father. Meanwhile, Jenny bonds with Serena's younger brother, Eric, and Rufus must swallow his pride and ask Lily for a favor to help his son, Dan.
|04||Bad News Blair||2.80||October 10, 2007|
|Blair is thrilled when her mother, Eleanor, chooses her to be the new face of her clothing line. However, her happiness soon turns to feelings of betrayal and jealousy when Serena moves into the spotlight and she finds herself back in the shadows once again. Meanwhile, Serena and Dan try to go on a date, and Nate and Chuck indulge in a boys weekend to blow off steam after Ivy Week.
|05||Dare Devil||2.41||October 17, 2007|
|Dan makes elaborate plans to impress Serena on their first official date. The same night, Jenny is invited to Blair's infamous Waldorf sleepover and finds herself in a high stakes game of truth or dare. Meanwhile, when Lily discovers that Eric is missing from his treatment center, she finds herself seeking help from her ex lover, Rufus.
Title based off of the movie Daredevil.
|06||The Handmaiden's Tale||2.54||October 24, 2007|
|Dan is torn between two girls when his childhood friend, Vanessa, returns home and declares her feelings for him. At the masked ball, Blair sends Nate on a scavenger hunt, but Nate is ultimately distracted by his feelings for Serena. Finally, Lily asks Rufus to accompany her to an Eleanor Waldorf event in order to make Bart Bass jealous.
|07||Victor Victrola||2.52||November 7,2007|
|After surviving the on-again/off-again nature of their new relationship, Serena and Dan finally acknowledge they are crazy about each other. Chuck contemplates investing in a burlesque club in the hopes of making his hard-to-please father, Bart, proud of him. Meanwhile, Nate confronts his father about the drugs he found in the house and Jenny discovers a secret Rufus, and her mother, Alison, have been keeping from her. Finally, Blair is devastated by Nate's actions after she finds out what really happened at the masked ball.
Title based off of the movie Victor Victoria.
|08||Seventeen Candles||2.95||November 14, 2007|
|Devastated by the current state of her relationship with Nate and still dealing with the guilt from her recent indiscretion with Chuck, Blair puts on a happy face for her 17th birthday party and attempts to hide the truth from her friends. Hoping to ease the tension between Serena and Vanessa, Dan takes Vanessa to Blair's party so the girls can have some bonding time, which ends with surprising results. Meanwhile, Jenny brings her mom home for a surprise visit, but Rufus may not be ready to forgive and forget. Nate's parents ask him to make a huge sacrifice in an effort to salvage his father's business as he faces charges of embezzlement and fraud.
|09||Blair Waldorf Must Pie||2.93||November 28, 2007|
|When Dan hears that Serena and her family are spending Thanksgiving alone at The Palace, he naively invites them to spend the holiday with his family, creating an uncomfortable situation for Rufus and Lily whose children are unaware of their complicated romantic history. Meanwhile, Blair's emotions spiral out of control when she learns that her father isn't coming home for Thanksgiving. Nate spends the holiday with his mom and dad, but their awkward dinner quickly goes from bad to worse.
|10||Hi, Society||2.44||December 5,2007|
|Serena has no intention of attending the upcoming Debutante Ball, until her grandmother, CeCe, announces that she must go. Meanwhile, a still broken up Nate and Blair plan to attend the ball together and a jealous Chuck schemes to ruin the night for them. Also, Jenny finds herself faced with the decision of either attending her mother's art opening or the Debutante Ball.
|11||Roman Holiday||1.81||December 19, 2007|
|When Blair's father, Harold, comes home for the holidays with an unexpected guest: his boyfriend, Roman, Blair finds it difficult to hide her disappointment and hatches a plan to get rid of Roman for good. Jenny and Vanessa help Serena plan the best Christmas surprise ever for Dan, who may have a surprise of his own in mind for Serena. Finally, Rufus refuses to remain the understanding husband any longer after Alison's former lover calls the house.
Title based off of the movie Roman Holiday.
|12||School Lies||2.19||January 2, 2008|
|Serena, Blair, Nate, Chuck and the rest of their friends break into the school swimming pool for a night of fun, but when an accident occurs, the school threatens to expel the person responsible for the break-in. Not wanting to risk his future, Dan clashes with Serena on how to handle the aftermath. While working on a documentary project, Vanessa accidentally captures Blair and Chuck discussing their affair. Meanwhile, Lily tries to tell Rufus how she really feels about him.
|13||A Thin Line Between Chuck and Nate||2.27||January 9, 2008|
|Gossip Girl takes pleasure in reporting that Serena van der Woodsen was spotted buying pregnancy tests. Of course, on the Upper East Side, the truth is often even juicier and more scandalous than the gossip, and this time is no exception.
|14||The Blair Bitch Project||2.50||April 21, 2008|
|Having been recently dethroned as Queen Bee, Blair hesitantly returns to school with the support of Serena, who is struggling to adjust to her new living arrangements with her future step-brother, Chuck, while receiving disturbing packages from an unknown sender. Meanwhile, Jenny's drive to be popular hits an all-new time high when she does something illegal to fit in with her new Upper East Side friends.
|15||Desperately Seeking Serena||2.53||April 28, 2008|
|Serena's world is turned upside down when her former partner in all things bad, Georgina Sparks, returns to Manhattan to stir up trouble and expose Serena's past. Meanwhile, Nate finds romance with the last person he was expecting to connect with and Jenny meets a new guy who just might be her ticket to permanent popularity. Finally, Blair hatches a secret plan to sabotage her biggest rival, Nelly Yuki.
|16||All About My Brother||2.12||May 5, 2008|
| Georgina informs Serena that she is prepared to reveal damaging information from Serena's past. Blair and Jenny escalate their "popularity war" by spreading scandalous rumors about each other through Gossip Girl. Dan witnesses Jenny's new boyfriend, Asher, cheating on her, but Jenny refuses to listen to her brother's warning. Rufus goes to Lily for advice on how to handle Jenny's recent out-of-character behavior.
|17||Woman on the Verge||2.71||May 12, 2008|
|As a result of Georgina revealing the true reason that Serena fled Manhattan for boarding school, Serena falls back into her old habits and Blair, Nate and Chuck must put their complicated feelings for each other aside to help their friend. Unfortunately, Serena is too ashamed to share the truth with Dan, leaving him only to assume the worse about his girlfriend. Rufus is thrilled when his band is invited to perform at a Rolling Stone-sponsored concert, but is shocked when an unexpected guest shows up.
|18||Much 'I Do' About Nothing||3.00||May 19, 2008|
|With her best friend Serena's life and reputation on the line, Blair decides to take matters into her own hands in dealing with the manipulative and evil Georgina Sparks. With Rufus never far from her thoughts, Lily prepares for her wedding day which is destined to be the Upper East Side's social event of the year. Serena finally pours out her heart and the truth about her past to Dan, but will it prove to be too late to save their relationship?
- Blair, Serena, Dan, Chuck and Nate are all in their junior year in high school.