Gossip Girl is an American teen drama television series based on the novel series of the same name written by Cecily von Ziegesar. Developed for television by Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, it was broadcast on The CW network for six seasons from September 19, 2007, to December 17, 2012.
The success of Gossip Girl led to many adaptations outside the United States, none that lasted for very long. The show received numerous award nominations and won 18 Teen Choice Awards.
The CW officially renewed Gossip Girl for a sixth and final season on May 11, 2012. The final season, consisting of 10 episodes, premiered on October 8, 2012, and ended on December 17, 2012. HBO Max gave the series a 2021 reboot set to air on July 8, 2021.
Narrated by the unknown, omniscient blogger "Gossip Girl" (voiced by Kristen Bell), the series revolves around the lives of privileged upper-class adolescents living in Manhattan's Upper East Side (UES). The series begins with the return of Upper East Side teenage "it girl" Serena van der Woodsen (Blake Lively) from a mysterious absence. She is reunited with her frenemy Blair Waldorf (Leighton Meester) and her mother Lily (Kelly Rutherford), and she also meets Dan Humphrey (Penn Badgley)—an aspiring writer from Brooklyn who is one of Serena's main love interests throughout the show. Other main characters include Nate Archibald (Chace Crawford), Chuck Bass (Ed Westwick), Jenny Humphrey (Taylor Momsen), Vanessa Abrams (Jessica Szohr), Rufus Humphrey (Matthew Settle) and Ivy Dickens (Kaylee DeFer).
- Blake Lively as Serena van der Woodsen (seasons 1–6; 121 episodes)
- Leighton Meester as Blair Waldorf (seasons 1–6; 121 episodes)
- Penn Badgley as Dan Humphrey (seasons 1–6; 121 episodes)
- Ed Westwick as Chuck Bass (seasons 1–6; 117 episodes)
- Chace Crawford as Nate Archibald (seasons 1–6; 115 episodes)
- Taylor Momsen as Jenny Humphrey (seasons 1–4; 66 episodes)
- Matthew Settle as Rufus Humphrey (seasons 1–6; 119 episodes)
- Kelly Rutherford as Lily van der Woodsen (seasons 1–6; 96 episodes)
- Kristen Bell as Gossip Girl's voice (uncredited) (seasons 1–6; 121 episodes)
- Jessica Szohr as Vanessa Abrams (seasons 1–4; 69 episodes)
- Connor Paolo as Eric van der Woodsen
- Michelle Trachtenberg as Georgina Sparks
- Zuzanna Szadkowski as Dorota Kishlovsky
- Margaret Colin as Eleanor Waldorf
- Robert John Burke as Bart Bass
- Caroline Lagerfelt as CeCe Rhodes
- Sebastian Stan as Carter Baizen
- Aaron Tveit as Tripp van der Bilt
- Desmond Harrington as Jack Bass
- Hugo Becker as Louis Grimaldi
- Katie Cassidy as Juliet Sharp
- Ella Rae Peck as Lola Rhodes
- William Baldwin as William van der Woodsen