Season One is the first season of Gossip Girl, the American teen drama based upon the book series written by Cecily von Ziegesar. This season started airing on HBO Max on July 8, 2021, and a special presentation the following day on The CW.
Season one is split into two parts: Part One and Part Two, each having six episodes. Part One premiered on July 8th, while Part Two was released on November 25, 2021. While Part One released weekly, Part Two was released all on one day.
Full plot details remain limited, but here's the official summary for the series.
"Eight years after the original website went dark, a new generation of New York private school teens are introduced to the social surveillance of Gossip Girl. The prestige series will address just how much social media—and the landscape of New York itself—has changed in the intervening years."
"It's just a new look at this particular society in New York, the idea being that society changes constantly," screenwriter Joshua Safran told The Hollywood Reporter. "So how has this world changed, how has social media and its effect changed? All of those things allow us to look at the world 12 years on as opposed to just redoing the story."
- Jordan Alexander as Julien Calloway
- Whitney Peak as Zoya Lott
- Tavi Gevinson as Kate Keller
- Eli Brown as Obie Bergmann IV
- Thomas Doherty as Max Wolfe
- Emily Alyn Lind as Audrey Hope
- Evan Mock as Aki Menzies
- Johnathan Fernandez as Nick Lott
- Adam Chanler-Berat as Jordan Glassberg
- Zion Moreno as Luna La
- Savannah Smith as Monet de Haan
- Jason Gotay as Rafa Caparros
- Todd Almond as Gideon Wolfe
- Laura Benanti as Kiki Hope
- Kristen Bell as Voice of Gossip Girl
- Donna Murphy as Headmistress Burton
- John Benjamin Hickey as Roy Sachs
- Rana Roy as Rima
- Carla Hall as Rocky
- America Olivo as Martine
- Luke Kirby as Davis Calloway
- Lyne Renée as Helena Bergmann
- Elizabeth Lail as Lola Morgan
- Megan Ferguson as Wendy
- Princess Nokia as Herself
- Jeremy O'Harris as Himself
- Kathryn Gallagher as Obie's Sister
- Zuzanna Szadkowski as Dorota Kishlovsky
- Aaron Schwartz as Vanya
- Wallace Shawn as Cyrus Rose
- Margaret Colin as Eleanor Waldorf
- Evan Guerrera as Water Boy
|1||Just Another Girl on the MTA||555,000 (HBO Max)
290,000 (The CW)
|July 8, 2021|
July 9, 2021
|The start of a new school year at the Upper East Side’s elite Constance St. Jude’s ushers in the arrival of a newcomer, who soon finds herself thrust into a blinding spotlight. While other students cling to their comfortable, glamorous lives, a mysterious presence threatens to upend the status quo.|
|2||She's Having a Maybe||N/A||July 15, 2021|
|As Zoya cautiously explores a new romantic interest, Max tears down boundaries in pursuing one of his own. At a black-tie affair, Audrey struggles with her mom, Kate works overtime, and Julien vows to fix her mistakes once and for all.|
|3||Lies Wide Shut||N/A||July 22, 2021|
|While the school takes drastic measures to smoke out Gossip Girl’s identity, a blind item threatens to put an end to a Constance couple. Max pushes Julien to explore life outside her comfort zone, prompting both teens to uncover shocking family secrets. Zoya turns to an unlikely ally for help fitting in.|
|4||Fire Walks With Z||TBA||July 29, 2021|
|Zoya’s attempts to avoid her birthday are no match for Luna and Monet’s warpath. While Julien escalates tensions, Nick and Davis put down their arms. Bad news sends Max on a bender, Audrey levels with Aki, and Kate gets an exciting opportunity.|
|5||Hope Sinks||TBA||August 5, 2021|
|As Halloween approaches, Zoya and Julien decide to team up. Meanwhile, an incident at a nearby school finds all eyes on Gossip Girl, leading Kate to question her future. Aki intervenes in Max’s personal life, and Audrey panics over her own. Zoya’s new friend has Obie worried.|
|6||Parentsite||TBA||August 12, 2021|
|When Obie’s mother comes to town, Zoya begins to question his nature – and nurture. Julien’s decision to take her brand to the next level leads her down a path of self-discovery. Kate’s personal and professional lives collide at full force. Aki and Max come together to support Audrey.|
|7||Once Upon a Time in the Upper West||TBA||November 25, 2021|
|As Zoya scrounges up guests for her annual Friendsgiving feast, Julien and Obie cover their tracks. Meanwhile, Kate and Jordan face an ultimatum from Rafa that threatens to bring Gossip Girl down once and for all.|
|8||Posts on a Scandal||TBA||November 25, 2021|
|While an accusation from Gossip Girl throws Julien’s life into a tailspin, Zoya takes matters into her own hands. Kate faces backlash from her colleagues. Obie and Aki take a stand. Max navigates foreign emotions.|
|9||Blackberry Narcissus||TBA||November 25, 2021|
|When Gossip Girl turns the city against her, Julien leans on Zoya in her search for the truth. Meanwhile, Kate and Jordan attempt to outsmart their coworkers, Audrey and Aki open their minds, and Max tries to find his voice.|
|10||Final Cancellation||TBA||December 2, 2021|
|In her efforts to save Julien from a vicious smear campaign, Zoya puts her own future at risk. Kate and Jordan hatch a last-ditch plan to reclaim Gossip Girl. Audrey and Aki rope an increasingly resentful Max into both of their schemes.|
|11||You Can't Take It With Jules||TBA||December 2, 2021|
|A Christmas visitor threatens to upend Julien’s life, while a new friend pushes Zoya to chart her own path. Ahead of a bombshell drop, Kate, Jordan, and Wendy clamor for control of Gossip Girl.|
|12||Gossip Gone, Girl||TBA||December 2, 2021|
|As the crew heads upstate for their annual New Year’s bash, Julien holds tight to tradition despite everything changing around her. Meanwhile, Zoya questions her place in her sister’s group – and Kate questions the future of Gossip Girl.|
|Previous Season:||Next Season:|
|Season 6||Season 2|
For a more detailed season gallery, including behind the scenes images, please go here!
Fashion Show Livestream Event
- A livestream event was held on July 7th, 2021, in which a fashion show took place to showcase designer brand Monse's new collection. The event was narrated by Kristen Bell's Gossip Girl.
- The fashion designer of the series, Eric Damon, shared an inside look on the fashion of the new series. He detailed each characters style. Fashion designer Eric Damon shared that the GG looks are easy with thrifts and online platforms for exclusive fashion. He added that fashion is 20% style and ad 80% confidence. A great smile is the best accessory.
- Julien is honed into influence and how others are styling themselves. She wears an iconic Constance Billiard St. Jude's varsity jacket. The jacket is technically a men’s jacket which gives it the oversized look. She likes to be edgy so she wears short shorts underneath the oversized shirts.
- Zoya comes from Buffalo so she's not as concerned with fashion, nor is she as financially setup as the other characters. She's an activist and a writer which is reflected in her outfits and style. She is also a thrift shopper, so her outfits have an older or vintage themed tone. She believes in her clothing having a voice, and has a sociopolitical revolution book tote. The tote is a from a black-owned company in New York. She does get mesmerized by the glitz and glamour, which is why for her first fashion show has a bold orange Alex Perry sequin number.
- Max breaks down gender norms and rules. He is able to wear a sheer “women’s” blouse but still be the sexiest man in the room because he knows how to wear it.
- Audrey likes old world fashion and is very contemporary. She wears a Balmain sweater for her school uniform. Most of her looks were inspired by Grace Kelly.
- Monet is the richest girl in school, and is very decadent in her uniform. She favors old-world Chanel with a matching two-piece for school. She loves to match prints. For night wear, she prefers a Versace jacket.
- Luna is frilly and feminine with a boho-chic vibe. She loves to show off her legs.
- Kate's first look is a nod to Serena's look in the pilot, with a brown jacket and striped shirt. However, it's changed up a little.
- Obie is the poor little rich boy who wears an expensive denim jacket to school, which he has added the CB and SJ logo too.
- Aki is the skater boy. He takes norm-core and turns it into luxury basics.
- During in-character interviews, viewers got to know the characters better. Julien and Zoya did a "this or that sisters edition". The entire core cast answered what their favorite season in NYC is and what they're most looking forward to in the coming weeks or year.
- An exclusive sneak peek was released where the students meet Zoya on the MET steps. It's here that Zoya and Julien are confirmed to have the same mother but different fathers.
- One of the Monse designs from the fashion show is featured in the first season, and is worn by Julien.
- The BBC will air the series internationally on BBC One and iPlayer.
- HBO Max partnered with Snapchat to bring users free full-length episodes of many of its series, including Gossip Girl, Game of Thrones, Euphoria, and more. The programming is made available on Snap Minis, a platform on Snapchat that hosts third-party apps. On the HBO Max Snap Mini, Snapchatters will get to watch the select episodes with up to 63 of their friends and share comments and Bitmoji reactions with one another during their viewings. Users will be required to indicate their age so that only “age-appropriate” programming is available to them.
- HBO Max partnered with online retailer Depop to bring exclusive shops dedicated to four of the main characters. The selected characters were Julien Calloway, Max Wolfe, Aki Menzies, and Monet de Haan. Each clothing line represents a different value associated with the characters: Influence, Freedom, Innocence, and Power respectively. Visit Julien's Shop, Max's Shop, Aki's Shop, or Monet's Shop.
- Three Glossier kits were released with promotion from the cast of Gossip Girl, including Zion Moreno, Evan Mock, and Savannah Smith.
- Gossip Girl was available to text in the weeks leading up to the series premiere, by texting [809-4277|(917) 809-4277].
- The introductory test was a link redirecting the texter to a community where an official "Gossip Girl" account asked permission to add your number as a contact.
- The second text received after signing up was, "Hello there, follower. I'm guessing you want to get blasts on the scandalous lives of New York's Elite. Well, who am I to keep you out of the loop? Click the link to be added to my inner circle. XOXO, Gossip Girl".
- The third text after clicking the link was, "Thank you, dear follower. You're now on my list to get updates from me. Now let's have some fun. XOXO".
- On June 17th, a text was sent with a link to a community photo that featured Luna La, Julien Calloway, and Monet de Haan. The accompanied text said, "The Holy Trinity. Say your prayers. See you in 3 weeks."
- On June 24th, a text was sent with a link to a community video that featured Monet de Haan on her phone before taking a sip of wine. The text that accompanied said, "Keep your phones close. See you in 2 weeks."
- When the number is dialed, an automated message plays that says, "Welcome to Gossip Girl's hotline. She's not taking calls right now. Please hang up and text her at this number". The line then disconnects. However, it was updated with an automated message from Gossip Girl herself, saying, "Hello there. Gossip Girl here. Calling to tell me you miss me? You know you came to the right place. Send me a text at this number so I can keep you up to date on what's going on in the scandalous lies of New York's elite. XOXO." The line disconnects.
- On July 4th, a text was sent with a link to a community video featuring Monet de Haan, Julien Calloway, and Luna La preparing for their first day of junior high. Julien purchases expensive outfits on her phone while Luna touches up Julien's makeup. As Julien poses for a photo by Monet, Kate Keller bumps into Julien and spills coffee over her white blouse. The accompanied text was, "Online, we see what one wants us to see. But on the Upper East Side, I see everything. Enjoy this early look from my vantage point. xoxo."
- On July 5th, a text was sent with a link to a community GIF featuring Julien Calloway, Monet de Haan, and Luna La in the halls of Constance Billiard. The accompanied text was, "Three queens to remind you that there are only three days until my return. Secure those crowns, ladies. xoxo."
- On July 7th, a text was sent with a link to a video from Gossip Girl herself, only shown in words, reintroducing New Yorkers with a new generation. The accompanied text was, "Often imitated, never duplicated. But I'll be back tomorrow. See you at 12AM PT/3PM ET. 💋"
- On July 8th, a text was sent with a link of the photo with the letters XOXO. The accompanied text was, "Hello, followers. Gossip Girl here, your one and only source for the truth behind the scandalous lies of New York's elite. Did you miss me? I've missed you. Though you're probably going to wish I'd stayed away when I'm done. Because I can see you. Not the you you've oh-so-carefully curated. The real you. The one hiding just outside the edge of the frame. Well, it's time to reframe that picture."
- On July 9th, a text was sent with a link to a video from an iPhone with Gossip Girl sharing a video on AirDrop. Max Wolfe, Aki Menzies, and Audrey Hope are on the fashion show in episode 1, in the beginning, middle and end. The accompaning text was, "From my camera roll to yours. xoxo"
- On July 10th, a text was sent with the picture that was revealed at the beginning of the episode, and the reason why Julien Calloway and Zoya Lott may be sisters. It is also posted on Gossip Girl's Instagram page. The accompanying text was, "Spotted: Calloway and her crew at Dumbo Hall with a little something extra. Her sudden sis. Sorry to crash the party, JC, but I’ve got a pic that says the thousand words you’ve yet to utter. Everyone knows 15 years ago Mama Marion dumped DJ Davis for a new life with Nick Nobody, yet sadly passed before she could see her daughters united. Yet unite they have, though you wouldn’t know it to look at them. Never met before? That’s the ruse. Zoya’s entrance to Constance was signed, sealed, and deceitful. Or didn’t you know? On the Upper East Side, scholarships aren’t granted. They’re gifted."
- On July 14th, a text was sent with a video of Julien Calloway and Obie Bergmann IV texting. It is also posted on Gossip Girl's Instagram page. The accompanying text was, "They talk, I listen. And lucky for you, I don’t keep it to myself. New gossip tomorrow. ‘Til then, XOXO."
- On July 15th, a text was sent with a photo of Zoya Lott and Obie Bergmann IV together in episode 2. It is also posted on Gossip Girl's Instagram page. The accompanying text was, "Spotted: Something more rare than the Mandarin duck. A Zobie sighting in the wilds of the Upper West. Only a matter of time before they left their nest. But where do you think they fall on the food chain? Guess we'll find out, since something tells me they're about to be eaten alive."
- On July 21st, a text was sent with a video of Julien Calloway is looking (and spying) at Lola and her friend, and follows her. After Lola closed the door of an apartment, Julian looks and snapped a picture of the apartment number, which it turns out that Davis Calloway is on number 4. The accompanying text was, "Spotted in the West Village: Calloway attempting incognito. Why the trench, JC? Sources tell me she was on a mission for one mystery blonde. Your number one source knows who she is, of course. Do you?"
- On July 22nd, a text was sent with a picture of a couple with question marks, possibly in relations to Aki Menzies and Audrey Hope from episode 3. The accompanying text was, "This just in: looks like one of Constance's most constant couples isn't as coupled as we thought. We hear one half strayed, but not too far from the nest, in fact, with someone close to both parties. That's the fun thing about blind items. We often don't see what's right in front of our eyes. And sometimes, when we least expect it, our eyes are opened for us. My advice? Don't walk away."
- On July 28th, a text was sent with a video of Zoya's birthday party in episode 4. The accompanying text was, "Trust me, you're going to want to go out tonight. Come for the party. Stay for the party. XOXO"
- On August 4th, a text was sent with a picture of a mysterious person at the Halloween party in episode 5, revealed as Nelly Yuki. The accompanying text was, "An old alumni will be making their way back to the halls they used to haunt. And just in time for Halloween. Who do you thing it will be?"
- On August 5th, a text was sent with a photo of the bus ride between Zoya Lott and Simon Ravetch in episode 5. The accompanying text was, "Spotted. We never could've predicted this, but looks like JC and Z really have buried the hatchet. Too bad Z buried it in Obie's back."
- On August 11th, a text was sent with a video of Max Wolfe waiting for someone at the diner from episode 6. The accompanying text was, "Spotted: a Wolfe evading the public eye. Who is he waiting for? I bet there's a couple people that would like to know."
- On August 12th, a text was sent with a picture of Zoya Lott and Helena Bergmann on episode 6. The accompanying text was, "Poor little Z, learning the hard lesson that while some get a blowout, others simply get blown off. Looks like Noble O may not be so noble after all."
- Karena Evans directs two episodes, the pilot and second episode, of the series.
- The original costume designer Eric Daman rejoined the series.
- According to Kristen Bell, the series is more risque than the original due to it being on HBO Max.
- Kristen Bell teased that a major twist happens in the Pilot episode regarding the character of Gossip Girl.
- In an exclusive behind the scenes interview with Vulture, Josh Schwartz and Joshua Safran spilled information regarding the series conceptualization and production. The writer of the article spent time on set during a special Thanksgiving episode and described the first scene in detail.
- It's "a holiday designed to sow discord while supposedly being about gratitude. Zoya, played by Whitney Peak, the middle-class (and therefore comparatively underprivileged) freshman scholarship student who just moved to town, has found herself improbably rising in the school’s social ranks, which are ruled by her half-sister, Julien, played by Jordan Alexander. Zoya answers a series of knocks on her rent-controlled Upper West Side apartment’s door to reveal, much to her surprise, a steady stream of friends and enemies, some at war with one another. Fourteen actors float in the door and out of frame in one continuous shot. A camera operator starts spinning a wheel and the lens whips around to catch the spoiled-kid spectacle: “What are you doing here?” “I asked you first!” “Did you know Max was — ” a semi-estranged high-school couple huff in unison when their friend, who’s also the third member of a recent threesome, saunters through the door. “If we hurry, Dad, we can still make the 5 p.m. seating at Le Bernardin!” Julien, dressed in a slinky-shimmery dress, sighs."
- Midway through production, HBO Max extended the initial 10-episode count to 12.
- In celebration of the premiere, HBO Max and MONSE unveiled 22 unique looks inspired by “Gossip Girl” and the iconic private school uniforms of Constance Billard School. Taping in New York City, the fashion show streamed in real time for fans around the world on HBO Max YouTube, “Gossip Girl” TikTok & Facebook and the “Gossip Girl” homepage on HBO Max on July 7 at 9PM ET. In addition to the runway show, the livestream were also feature:
- A behind the scenes look with “Gossip Girl” costume designer and stylist, Eric Daman, at the incredible wardrobe from the series and a glimpse at the creative process behind each fabulous look.
- A sit down with MONSE co-founders and creative directors, Laura Kim and Fernando Garcia, for an intimate conversation with social media sensation and style guru, Ashley aka “@bestdressed,” to discuss how “Gossip Girl” was the muse for their fall 2021 collection – a rebellious reimagination of the private school uniform.
- A tutorial from a beauty insider to teach viewers how to achieve the fresh and expressive makeup looks featured in the fashion show.
- Never-before-seen show clips, exclusive character interviews and more!
- The Gossip Girl pink carpet was hosted by HBO Max on June 30th, 2021. The entire cast and the creators of the show were in attendance.
- During an interview with Daily Beast, creator Joshua Safran discussed the series and everything that happens within the first four episodes. It was confirmed that the show "engages in plenty of mischief and loads more sex than the original".
- Safran confirmed that, contrary to previous articles, the teens would be abusing their privilege and wealth even if they are aware of how much of both they have.
- Consent was big thing for Safran to have in the reboot, even mentioning that Chuck Bass's behavior in the original wouldn't be acceptable today. He confirmed that in episode four Max asks Aki for his consent.
- When talking about depicting sex in a more graphic way, Safran said, "There’s some full-frontal nudity, but it’s not gratuitous. When Max goes to a bathhouse, people are naked in the background, and there’s some in the play, because the character in the play is naked. My whole point was that, whenever there was sex, it was based in character."
- None of the series regulars were invited back for the first season, as the writers wanted to develop and flesh out the new characters before bringing in the original ones. Safran worried that people wouldn't want to get to know a reboot character if an original one was present. He did tease that a few cameos from the original are present, but none of the series regulars. He also noted that screen time was a factor in that decision.
- The makeup department had to spend hours covering Evan Mock's tattoos before he did a nude scene, specifically his upper legs.
- Emily Alyn Lind was once two hours late to set.
- Emily Alyn Lind and Evan Mock had the most monologues, which were also with each other, so if one of them messed up they had to restart the entire scene.
- Joshua Safran wrote the role of Aki Menzies for Evan Mock, basing the character off of some of his personality traits.
- Both Monet and Luna will have a love interest this season, though not with each other.
- Episode two features a black tie gala.
- The soundtrack includes Taylor Swift and/or Olivia Rodrigo.
- OG cameos include minor ones in the first four episodes, and a major one in episode five. In fact, episode five is full of cameos and is considered the "cameo episode".
- Joshua Safran directed episode seven, which is why it was his favorite to film.
- Singer/band cameos similar to those in the original series will be featured.
- Eric Daman has a mobile character truck that is used to transport the clothing for each episode when on location. Because each character has about six costume changes per episode, there's a bare minimum of fifty-four outfits in the truck for the main cast alone.
- There are usually three or four versions of the outfits for the producers to choose from during filming.
- Taking into consideration the twelve episode count, the duplicates of outfits, and the amount of main stars, there are roughly two-thousand articles of clothing designated to just the main cast.
- Gossip Girl graced the cover of Cosmopolitan. The photoshoot happened in December and featured about one-hundred conceptualized outfits before the final outcome was reached.
- Josh Safran conducted an AMA on July 25, 2021, where he answered fan questions on Twitter.
- Writing Gossip Girl without commercial breaks was "absolute freedom" even though they did act breaks to makes sure the story flowed properly.
- New students will be introduced in 1B and will cause problems for the main group.
- An account for Audrey is being crafted on book Twitter.
- At the time, there were four more weeks left in shooting in the season.
- Both Monet and Luna's parents will make an appearance this season.
- Ariel Rechtshaid, the composer for Gossip Girl, did an interview with CrackMagazine and talked composing the revival. He was offered the job by Joshua Safran. He composed the music by breaking the characters into groups - the kids, the parents, and the teachers.
- Warner Media Press Releases
- Dazed Spring 2021, cast responds to gossip blasts